Thursday, August 25, 2011

East meets West....Food Style



By Margot Wass


            As many of you may know I am originally a Bostonian. (Although you can’t tell from my non regional accent.) I have now been a San Diegan for almost a year. I am going to be honest, I love Boston, but I do not miss living there. I do not miss snow, humidity, potholes, or defensive driving, but I miss the food.
 Don’t get me wrong I love California cuisine. Everything is so fresh and local. Fish tacos are life changing and whoever came up with putting french fries in a burrito should get an award. But there are things I never knew I’d miss from home. One is a lobster roll with claw meat, roast beef three way, New England Clam Chowder, and steak tips! Now I may have obsessed a little bit over this, but I have found places in Southern California that have this cuisine and….it’s so good you’d think you got it from Gloucester.
First off, the clam chowder thing is a touchy subject. Everyone has different preferences on their chowder. There are variations, we won’t even go into red chowder because we’re talking strictly New England, and it is cream based. But I personally like my chowder creamy, flavored with a little bacon, with potatoes and lots of clams. I’ve tried quite a few but one notable one is PointLoma Seafoods. It’s perfectly balanced and very inexpensive, at only $3.25 for a cup.  

Now, a lobster roll back east is a summer staple. A grilled and buttered roll with lots of fresh lobster meat is heaven on a hot night. A Bite of Boston in La Jolla offers a killer lobster roll. They use fresh Maine lobster, little bit of mayo and celery on a buttered roll. They have two locations and their lobster roll is only $12.95. (That’s cheaper than Kelly’s Roast Beef!)
I have been on the hunt for steak tips. I never realized these weren’t common. I have called butcher shops across San Diego, and you would think I was speaking in code. I have been offered cuts of meat from tri tips to carne asada. I finally remembered a place in Mass that was expanding to California.The Meat House is a franchise. They are a gourmet specialty butcher and market. They have chicken, ribs and most importantly they have four different variations of marinated steak tips.  I personally like the house marinade which is peppery with a hint of lemon. The meat is tender, flavorful and just melts in your mouth. Perfect for a summer BBQ! 

Of course for these mouth watering treats you need something to drink with it. Since I work for San Pasqual winery, I have all this wine at my fingertips. With the clam chowder, the creaminess from our San Diego Albariño complimented the dish perfectly. Our 2005 Syrah has a peppery finish, with the steak tips, it  created the perfect marriage, and the lobster roll….well I won’t lie that goes great with a beer. 


For those of you wondering about the roast beef three way......the search continues. If you know of a place, please let me know! *


*Arby's doesn't count*

No comments:

Post a Comment